What is Lean for Production?
- Lean principles help manufacturers achieve unprecedented efficiencies and performance improvement - on the shop floor, in internal business processes and throughout the value chain.
- throughout the value chain. The focus of Lean Manufacturing is the absolute elimination of waste.
- Waste is anything that prevents the value-added flow of material from raw material to finished goods.
- There are many tools available to help support the ideal of continuous flow and building just what the customer wants when they want it, i.e. pull.
- These tools include quick changeover methods, mistake proofing, workplace organization, standardization, and total productive maintenance, but these are just tools.
- The overarching goal is to create a value-added flow in order to give customers what they want precisely when they want it.
Why is Lean Production Essential?Disciplined application of Lean techniques is the key to extended enterprise integration with numerous benefits that include: